This Vegan Apple Crumb Cake has been adapted by Eva Trimmel from Fett und Zucker in Vienna, Austria
DOUGH AND CRUMB TOPPING
540 grams all-purpose flour
Pinch of fine sea salt
320 grams vegan margarine
4 tablespoons soy milk
1400 grams tart apples, peeled, cored, and diced
120 grams sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
60 grams dry breadcrumbs
One 10-inch cake pan 2 inches deep, greased with vegan margarine
1. For the dough, stir together the flour and salt and rub in the margarine finely. Sprinkle with the soy milk and use a fork to mix lightly.
2. Divide the dough mixture in half and reserve one half for the crumb topping.
3. Lightly knead the remaining dough until smooth; wrap and chill until firm.
4. Set a rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat to 375 degrees.
5. Roll the chilled dough and line the pan.
6. Mix the apples with the sugar, cinnamon, and breadcrumbs and pour into the crust.
7. Crumble the crumb mixture onto the filling.
8. Bake until the crust is baked through, the crumb topping is golden, and the filling is bubbling, about 45 minutes.
9.Cool the cake on a rack and serve it at room temperature.