Adapted from pastry chef Josef Haslinger, Julius Meinl am Graben, Vienna, Austria
Makes 6 individual desserts, 4 to 5 inches in diameter
MUERBTEIG (VIENNESE COOKIE DOUGH)
100 grams unsalted butter, softened
50 grams confectioners’ sugar
Pinch of salt
1 large egg
150 grams all-purpose flour
100 grams cream cheese
70 grams sugar
50 grams unsalted butter, softened
2 large eggs, lightly beaten in a small bowl
700 grams large strawberries rinsed, hulled, and halved
150 grams strawberry or raspberry jelly
1. For the dough beat the butter and sugar together by hand and beat in the salt.
2. Smoothly beat in the egg and then use a large rubber spatula to stir in the flour.
3. Wrap the dough in plastic ad chill until firm.
4. For the cheese filling, beat the cream cheese and sugar together and then beat in the butter. Bet in the eggs a little at a time to avoid having the filling become lumpy.
5. Set a rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat to 375 degrees,
6. Roll the dough to line the pans and sever the excess dough at the top of each pan. Pierce the bottoms of the crusts with a fork and spread in the filling, dividing it equally among the pans.
7. Place the tart pans on a cookie sheet and place in the oven. Decrease the temperature to 350 degrees and bake until the dough is baked through and the filling is set, about 20 to 25 minutes.
8. Cool completely in a rack. Remove the tart bases from the pans and set them on a clean cookie sheet. Arrange the berries on the cheese filling.
9. Bring the jelly to a boil and let it reduce until slightly thickened. Brush the glaze on the berries and serve the tarts within a few hours.